A Vertical Stance (also called sujik seogi) is similar to the closed and rear-foot stances. It is used for gaining height, and so is often used with downward techniques such as downward blade-hand strike as in pattern Hwarang.
- Move one foot to either the front or side a distance of 1 shoulder width between the big toes, almost forming a right angle
- Keep the toes of both feet pointing 15 degrees inward
- Keep the legs straight
- 60 percent body weight on the rear leg and 40 percent on the front leg
- When the right foot is in the rear it is a right stance, and vice versa
- Always half facing
There are two variations.
- Stances on School of Martial Arts